DIET FOR ALZHEIMER’S
- Walnuts, almonds, pecans and hazelnuts as it contain Omega-3 fatty acids, which is essential for brain. Also it contains vitamin E and flavonoids, which can help protect the brain.
- Salmon (and mackerel, sardines, other fatty fish)Also high in Omega-3s, fatty fish like salmon can lower blood levels of beta-amyloid, a protein thought to play a role in Alzheimer’s.
- Berries contain polyphenols, a type of antioxidant which helps stop inflammation and allows brain cells to work better.
- Spinach, kale and other leafy greens as it is full of anti-oxidants and vitamin C.
- Turmeric main active component curcumin, can help prevent Alzheimer’s.
- Dark Chocolate contains flavanoids which slows down the effects of Dementia.
- Dark skinned fruits and vegetables have high levels of anti-oxidants. Such vegetables include: kale, spinach, brussels sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, broccoli, beets, red bell pepper, onion, corn and eggplant. Fruits with high antioxidant levels include prunes, raisins, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, plums, oranges, red grapes and cherries.
- Food rich in magnesium as it is beneficial for brain functions.
- Protein restricted diet supplemented with specific amino acids.
- Foods high in fat and cholesterol as it blocks bloods vessels on the brain and is associated with higher risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Complex carbohydrate foods such as rice, pasta, bread and cereals, as it gets converted into sugars; which is not good for brain
- Limit intake of sodium
- Junk food, cakes, pastries and fried food as it contains trans fat
- Decrease the intake of calories