Water Hyssop is better known as Bacopa monnieri (botanically) or Brahmi (in the ayurvedic world) and you’ll be surprised that this water plant has been traditionally used for alleviating brain issues for thousands of years. But bacopa is not only about optimizing brain functions any more, this plant possesses so many dynamic properties that traditional medicine has also recommended this herb for the following reasons:
- Stress management
- Dopamine level enhancement
- Mental and emotional balance
- Mood enhancement
- Mental and cognitive improvement
- Skeletal support
- Reproductive health
- Memory enhancement
- Blood sugar optimization
- Metabolic health
- Digestive health
- Immune balance
So, Let’s get to Know This Wonder Healer a bit More
Water Hyssop is a perennial, creeping herb, with oblong leaves 4–6 mm in size. Its flowers are small, actinomorphic and white, with four to five petals.
Bacopa is extensively used in traditional medicine like Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine. It’s usually sold as an oil or powder, but is also available in capsule and liquid extracts.
It does have a bitter taste, however, that’s not enough to mask the numerous health benefits it offers.
Water Hyssop’s Nutrient Properties
You may be wondering what makes this herb so proficient and the reasons are that Water Hyssop contains many biologically active compounds, including alkaloids (brahmine and herpestine), flavonoids (glucuronyl-7-apigenin, glucuronyl-7-luteolin, luteolin-7-glucoside, and luteolin), and saponins (bacogenins, bacosides, and bacopasides), and bacopasaponins. In addition, the plant also contains terpenoids, phytosterol, and anthraquinones.
All of these constituents impart pharmacological powers to bacopa, which makes it exhibit nootropic, adaptogenic, antiproliferative, mood-enhancing, antioxidant, astringent, anxiolytic, cardiotonic, cognitive-enhancing, diuretic, mildly laxative, refrigerant, sedative, and vasoconstrictive properties.
Water Hyssop’s Health Benefits Potentially Include:
- Supporting the functioning of the brain
- Improving cognition and memory
- Combating stress, depression and anxiety
- Promoting liver health
- Detoxifying the body
- Optimizing cardiovascular functioning and blood circulation
- Improving digestion
- Improving joint health
- Regulating Endocrinal functions
Modern Research Studies That Verify Brahmi’s Traditional Medicinal Uses
Yes, various clinical studies have been conducted to validate the therapeutic proficiency of water hyssop and some of the studies conducted to determine Bacopa’s efficacy in clinical conditions include:
Some of the studies conducted to determine Bacopa’s efficacy in clinical conditions include:
- Alzheimer’s disease: This neurodegenerative disease is becoming a common concern with advancing age and more people are succumbing to this brain disorder. Results of an In vivo study showed that Bacopa monnieri potentially exerted cognitive enhancing and neuroprotective properties against Alzheimer’s disease. 1
- Parkinson’s disease: Another progressive neurodegenerative condition on the rise, Parkinson’s disease is correlated to abnormally low levels of Dopamine in the body. A clinical evaluation highlighted that bacopa reduced protein aggregation, prevented dopaminergic neurodegeneration and restored lipid content, thereby proving its potential as a possible anti-Parkinsonian agent. 2
- Dementia: This disease is characterized by cognitive decline and a progressive regression of mental abilities. Several studies have highlighted Brahmi’s nervine and mental tonifying properties. Studies conducted to evaluate the neuroprotective potential of the herb in dementia disease models indicated that the extract reduced oxidative stress, scavenged reactive oxygen species, decreased the formation of lipid peroxides and restored activities of the antioxidant enzymes. 3, 4
- ADHD: Mostly observed in children, this systemic disorder displaying inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity or difficulty in controlling behavior is becoming quite rampant and psychostimulants have not been able to control the condition. An open-label study to assess the effects of Water hyssop reported that the herb effectively alleviated symptoms of ADHD and was well-tolerated by the children. 5
- Depression and Anxiety: Bacopa has been reported to show tremendous results in addressing these widespread conditions. An In vivo study concluded that bacopa displayed dose-related anxiolytic activity qualitatively comparable to that of lorazepam, in all the test parameters. In fact, bacopa was better off than the widely used benzodiazepine anxiolytics because it also promoted cognition unlike the amnesic action of the latter. 6
- Stress: Almost all niggling medical conditions have their root cause in chronic stress. In fact, it has been estimated that 90% of primary health complaints are stress related. Numerous studies have been conducted to assess bacopa’s antistress properties. An In vivo examination on subjects suffering from acute and chronic stress established that a standardized extract of bacopa possessed potent adaptogenic activity and could be a potential stress buster. 7
These are just some of the many other extensive studies that have highlighted Water hyssop’s therapeutic potential. It has also been studied for conditions like Trigeminal neuralgia, Migraine, anti-aging, backache, joint pain, digestive disorders etc.
Biogetica has always championed the cause of nature and in order to exhibit nature’s healing powers, Biogetica works relentlessly to formulate blends that embody the best Nature has to offer. Our multidisciplinary kits comprise the finest and choicest natural ingredients backed by scientific evidence, so that they work synergistically for results that are beyond any single medical tradition.
We’ve combined Water hyssop (brahmi) with other versatile ingredients in several of our protocols so that you get nothing but the best.
- Brain Health Protocol
- Nerve Health Protocol
- Endocrine Health Protocol
These are just some of our protocols that include Water hyssop (bacopa); to see the entire range, get more information, ask any health related concern or get personalized recommendations please consult with our doctors available round the clock at www.biogetica.com now!