Diet for Diarrhea?
Do you have diarrhea? You may think eating will make your condition worse, however following certain dietary changes can help alleviate your symptoms. There are certain home remedies including the BRAT diet, and restricting certain foods that can help ease diarrhea.
DIARRHEA DIET RECOMMENDATIONS
Causes for Diarrhea
Most people experience diarrhea once or twice a year. The reason could be a bacterial infection, food allergy or simply some particular food that disagrees with you. Diarrhea can also be a result of stress. However, it is not a serious issue and often gets resolved within a day or two. Following a BRAT diet- bananas, rice, applesauce and toast; and including probiotics can help ease the symptoms, also avoiding fatty and hard to digest foodstuffs can help.
We are providing the necessary food recommendations for Diarrhea.
- Old Sali and shasthi (variety of rice) is good, poppy, soup of lentils, pigeon peas, butter milk, fresh banana, ginger, pomegranate, cumin seeds, bishops weed seeds are recommended
- Yogurt (unless you are lactose intolerant, in which case you may need to limit consumption)
- Rice, Grape juice, Boiled potatoes, Toast, Plain crackers such as saltines and Pretzels
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of clear fluids every day.
Foods for Moderate Consumption:
Consume meat soup, boiled egg white and corn in moderation. Do not drink too much water.
Foods to Avoid:
Avoid Wheat, barley, honey, mango, ash gourd, drumsticks, garlic, grapes/raisins, green leafy vegetables and spices etc. Avoid sugarcane juice
- Boil crushed pomegranate peel in a glass of water reduce to half and drink frequently to overcome diarrhea.
- One teaspoon full of cumin seeds boiled in a glass of water and the decoction mixed with one tsp of fresh coriander leaf juice and a pinch of salt. This is to be taken two times daily after meals.
- Nutmeg powder approximately 5-10 grams mixed with banana or apple juice is used as a specific remedy for diarrhea.